A number of members express concern that they do not have the necessary skills for what they are being asked to do. We will try to ease this by the following measures.
- For those who express a preference for safety boat duties we will offer, free of charge to participants, an introductory course to RYA Level 1 Start Powerboating.
- We will continue to offer a free First-Aid course (and three-yearly renewals) to safety boat volunteers.
- Hitherto we have charged those who do the RYA Level 2 Powerboat Handling course (PB2), with reimbursement of the course fee if they carry out eight or more safety boat duties in the following year. This will change to a system in which anyone who has completed safety boat duties on six separate days within a twelve month period will be eligible for a PB2 course at the Club’s expense.
- We will offer a half day induction course for those members who elect for Committee boat duties.
- We will continue with the “refresher days” which started last year, for safety boat and Committee Boat volunteers, and we will introduce short “taster” sessions for members who want to see what it is like driving a rib or manning a Committee boat.