#thisgirlcan is a national campaign developed by Sport England and a wide range of partnership organisations. It’s a celebration of active women up and down the country who are doing their thing no matter how well they do it, how they look or even how red their face gets.
The aim is to progress through the RYA National Sailing Scheme Adult Level 1 and into Level 2. The course will include launching and recovery, steering, parts of the boat, basic sailing skills, rope work and collision avoidance. By the end of the course participants should be able to steer, turn the boat around (tack), control boat speed and understand basic principles. The course is six weekly 1/2 day sessions on a Tuesday morning, starting at 10.30am and finishing by 13:30.
The course is being run at the same time as our already established #thisgirlcan sessions so you will get to know a lively and sociable bunch of people who are already having fun on the water and hopefully, at the end of the course, will want to continue.
15 May – 19 Jun(6 sessions)
10:30 – 13:30
Further notes that apply to all courses
- Courses are only available to club members, but we have a special three-month membership package available only for new members who book a training course.
- We provide buoyancy aids for the RYA Stage 1, 2, & 3 and Level 1 & 2 courses.
- You need to provide a waterproof top and adequate soft footwear. We also require that you wear a wetsuit. They’re available secondhand and from all good chandlers including our on-site chandler – Jonti. Some major supermarkets have products priced from £15 – £25 upwards.
- Courses will take place if there is sufficient demand.
- Gift vouchers are available for both course fees and membership subscriptions. Please enquire by emailing the office or by telephone (01480 810478).