Safety on the Water
You should be aware of the Instructions that Apply to all craft launching from Grafham Water Sailing Club, whether they are racing or not. Key points from this document are summarised below:
Before launching, please note and observe any sailing restrictions in force: these are indicated by the following flag signals, displayed from the waterfront flag poles:
- Flags are displayed alone or with other flag(s) on the pole next to the Coxswain’s slipway
- A single, short sound signal from the shore means the flag has been changed.
- You also need to look at the map (see below or click here for a pdf) that shows the fixed buoys and the no-sailing areas.
- For your safety, you are advised to stay within sight of the Coxswain’s lookout and wear a brightly coloured or fluorescent hat.
*Reactive safety cover
- There is not necessarily anyone watching the water but someone is onsite to assist if called.
- You are advised to borrow a VHF handheld from the Coxswain to radio for help.
- The water is under observation by staff or volunteers
- Particularly in extreme conditions, patrol boat assistance might be limited to what is practicable