Day Sailing & Visitors’ Information
Map & Directions
The club is located about three miles from the A1/A14 junction, between Bedford, Northampton, Cambridge and Peterborough and about 60 miles north of London. (Click through to map)
Download Accommodation List
Camping (tents and motorhomes – no caravans) is permitted at the club on selected weekends. You must book in advance. Please give the office a call on 01480 810478.
Before going afloat, all visiting sailors and guests must pay the appropriate fee (see below). Payment may be made in the Club Office or, when closed, via the Coxswains. On receipt of payment, day sailors will be issued with a copy of the visitors’ leaflet and are required to sign acceptance of the following rules in the visitors’ log.
Visitors should be aware of the instructions that apply to all boats launching from the club, copies of which may be obtained from the Club office or may be downloaded here. Key elements of these instructions are summarised in the visitors’ leaflet and below:
- Personal jacket buoyancy must be worn at all times when on the water.
- You must have third party insurance of at least £2 million before launching a sailboard or dinghy.
- Safety. You are responsible for your own safety both on and off the water whilst at the club. Helms are responsible for the safety and actions of their crew and must ensure their crew are competent to deal with prevailing conditions, are wearing the required personal buoyancy, and abide by the rules and restrictions in force at any time. You should familiarise with the safety-related advice published in our ‘General Instructions Applying to all Craft‘. Further information is available here.
- Launching and landing are prohibited from anywhere other than the club except in an emergency.
- Anchoring is prohibited anywhere on the lake.
- All sailors must abide by any instructions or restrictions in force at any given time. These will be indicated in the visitors’ leaflet, on maps and notice boards at various points in the club grounds; and by means of flags flown on the main jetty in front of the clubhouse. They may also include sound signals or verbal instructions from GWSC employees or authorised representatives. You must ALWAYS follow instructions given by the Coxswains.
- Thirty minutes before water closure the red flag will be raised with one long siren sound. You are expected to start to return to shore at this time. No craft must launch after this. A further sound signal then indicates water closure and withdrawal of safety cover. You must be off the water at this time.
- If you require assistance you should stay with your craft and wave your arms up and down to attract attention.
- Non-Native Species – Important Note
Day Sailing Fees 2018 – 2019
|Mon – Fri||Sat/Sun|
|Adult No Boat||£15.00||£20.00|
|Adult and Sailboard||£25.00||£30.00|
|Adult and Single-handed Boat||£30.00||£35.00|
|Two Adults and Double-handed Boat||£45.00||£50.00|
|Junior No Boat||£5.00||£5.00|
|Junior and Sailboard||£15.00||£15.00|
|Junior and Single-handed Boat||£20.00||£20.00|
|Two Juniors and Double-handed Boat||£25.00||£25.00|
|Non sailors £5.00|
|Cruiser launch add £10|
|One week = 3 times the daily rate|
|Four weeks = 6 times the daily rate|