We recognise that members may feel uneasy about volunteering because they feel that they do not have the necessary skills for what they are being asked to do. We try to ease this by the following measures.
- We run throughout the year an onshore “Volunteer Training” seminar. This is held on selected Saturdays; dates can be found in the club calendar.
- For those who express a preference for safety boat duties we offer an introductory one day course “Introduction to GWSC RIB Crew”. Details and dates can be found here.
- We run a PB2+ course; this is a one day course for newly qualified safety boat drivers to give them confidence to help on a RIB with Club Racing. This course is free to Club Members.
- We offer a free First-Aid course (and three-yearly renewals) to safety boat volunteers.
- For those who do the RYA Level 2 Powerboat Handling course (PB2) or the RYA Safety Boat course, the course fee is reimbursed if they carry out twelve or more safety boat duties in the following year.
- We run a one-day Club Mark Laying course, open to Safety Boat volunteers with PB2 or above.
- We can arrange the Marine Radio Short Range Certificate course
Details of all these courses can be found in the Training School section of the website.